Tom Morris was one of the founder members of the St Nicholas Golf Club. He was Greenkeeper to the Prestwick Golf Club from 1851 to 1864 when he returned to St Andrews as Greenkeeper to the R&A. He took up his duties early in July 1851 an finding quite a number of golfers outside the newly formed Prestwick Club he visualized the possibility of this playing the game in their spare time forming the nucleus of another club. The idea was pursued by Morris and when there was sufficient interest a meeting of those interested was held in the Red Lion Inn on 3rd November 1851. He proposed that the Club should be known as The Mechanics Club, but it changed in 1858 to St Nicholas Golf Club. He was an Honorary Member of the Club.