John Gray

John Gray - 4John Gray was the only iron clubhead maker in the west of Scotland. A blacksmith to trade, his forge was situated at the corner of Main Street and Gardener Street in Prestwick and all his heads were hand-forged. He was Captain 1852-1853, our second Captain, and an example of his work is displayed inside the Clubhouse. When the St Nicholas Club was formed in 1851, he made the club-forging side of his business particularly successful and no golfer in the west of Scotland considered his set of clubs of any value until he possessed a “John Gray” cleet or iron.