Born 1879 in Leven David played in the 1898 Open for the first time as a pro whilst working at Leven Thistle GC. Appointed professional to succeed his brother at Prestwick St Nicholas he laid out an 18 hole course for the Ladies Club in 1906 with Charlie Hunter. He established and operated a club-making business in Prestwick with his brother called D & J Kinnell. Laterally he designed the 9-hole seaside stretch of the current Girvan GC. David retired at 57 having been professional at St Nicholas for 34 years, becoming caretaker of Prestwick putting green until he died in 1951, 100 years after his Club had been formed.